About

enyorança (p: [ə ɲu 'ran sə]) - catalan: n. a state of longing

Chronicling the ex-expat life and the desire for something greater. Experiences, thoughts, and ideas formed because of a former lifestyle that's disappeared. Global culture, domestic lifestyle. Consolidated into an outlet that may or may not be interesting to anyone else. Also a kind of travel blog because sometimes I go places. All photography is mine unless credited otherwise.

dilluns, 16 de gener del 2012

Now I remember why I never watch reality TV

Last night, for the first time ever, and because there was nothing else on TV of interest (yes, I realize it was Golden Globes night, but awards shows bore me), we watched a 3-episode marathon of the Kardashians (Kourtney and Kim Take New York).  I’d heard of it, and I’m an active user of the internet and am also familiar with the lives of the three sisters.  My thoughts:

  1. Kris Humphries has absolutely no personality, no redeeming qualities.  Are people sure Kim wasn’t set up by the producers of the show to date and marry him just so they could divorce?  Because really.  Zero personality, zero redeeming qualities.  I liked the idea of someone with money marrying someone who doesn’t have as much (come on, he plays for the New Jersey Nets), but this…there’s nothing at all endearing about him.
  2. Then again, it’s not like Kim has any redeeming qualities either.  Except for the fact that she’s gorgeous.  She just has the IQ of a turtle.
  3. Kourtney’s boyfriend Scott seemed to be the only remotely decent person, the only person I didn’t mind seeing onscreen.  He has his issues, but he at least seemed genuine.  Although I don’t mind Khloe either.  She was one of the only people who gave decent advice to Kim when she was feeling all depressed at how her marriage was turning out.  As opposed to the mother, who had nothing at all substantial to say.
  4. I really really really want to go to Dubai.
  5. Why in the world do these people have fans?  They don’t do anything.  Nothing of significance anyway.  Do people really just like watching rich people act like idiots on TV?  I don’t get it.  Because there’s nothing I get out of them that makes me say “I’m a fan!”  They’re not singers, actresses, or have any discernable talents besides how good they are with a credit card.
  6. I actually kind of feel sorry for them though, but only in the sense that they have to go through crap that the rest of us have to go through with relationships.  Just not anything else.  It’s not like they have to worry about being unemployed.
  7. Oh, wait.  [Okay, so they are I guess in a way employed.  They can just afford to sit around all day and not have to worry about where they’re going to get money.  Unlike most of the world in this economy.]

And then my brother turned on the other trainwreck show 16 and Pregnant.  Though to be fair, I do feel sorry for those girls.  Genuinely.  Though my pity (and compassion) tends to run out when their friends talk about how they’ve always been planners, and then the pregnant girl says “Oh yeah, I can’t make a decision without planning it out!”  Uh…and you didn’t consider birth control?  And your mother is a single mom and doesn’t like your boyfriend because he’s kind of unstable?  GEE.

Conclusion: even though I am not rich like a Kardashian, things in my life really could be much worse.  And to be honest, even though I’m still trying to work through the myriad issues I have which prohibit me from being the person I should be, I have a supportive family and haven’t made any life-alteringly stupid decisions.  And while at the same time I shouldn’t judge someone based solely on reality TV, it’s their lives that have been made accessible by the public and not mine.  And honestly, while they are people, reality shows like that are good for one thing: evaluating and reevaluating your life and learning from other people’s mistakes.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada