About

enyorança (p: [ə ɲu 'ran sə]) - catalan: n. a state of longing

Chronicling the ex-expat life and the desire for something greater. Experiences, thoughts, and ideas formed because of a former lifestyle that's disappeared. Global culture, domestic lifestyle. Consolidated into an outlet that may or may not be interesting to anyone else. Also a kind of travel blog because sometimes I go places. All photography is mine unless credited otherwise.

dissabte, 31 de desembre del 2011

2011 In Review

Wall Street, January 1, 2011
I started the year in a Downtown Manhattan apartment with some friends and hoped that getting away from my family and spending NYE in NYC would be the perfect way to ring in the new year and maybe bring in a little luck.  It didn't, but it was still the greatest NYE experience I've ever had.  So many, many thanks to Emma and Olivia for an awesome time.

I had a two-week job at the end of February and into March watching a nine-month old baby during a seminar in Toronto and was paid (in cash) for my efforts.  The weather started getting warmer in April and that was when I started exploring more of Toronto, and even though I still wouldn't say I'm an expert in every nook and cranny of the city, I definitely got to know it better than I had in the winter.

In July my dad was offered this job here in South Carolina and he came down to start in September, and in October I came down with my mom to stay permanently.  I'm still hoping to get out sometime soon, but it has less to do with South Carolina and Greenville themselves and more with my unwillingness to spend too long in a small town with very few employment opportunities.

Toronto, ON, Canada, September 3, 2011
Overall, it's been a slow and frustrating year, as as far as tax records go, I spent the entire year unemployed.  But I certainly have learned a lot about myself, both positive and negative (possibly more negative than positive, but I'm already a bit of a pessimist as it is), and through different volunteering activities I've still been able to maintain and develop my skill sets.

Here's hoping I can get one step closer to finding myself in 2012.  I'll try to be optimistic.

And while I'm not much of a New Years Resolutions kind of person, I'm going to try to resolve to be more open with people, and more willing to get myself out there more, even if it means leaving my comfort zone for a little while.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada