About

enyorança (p: [ə ɲu 'ran sə]) - catalan: n. a state of longing

Chronicling the ex-expat life and the desire for something greater. Experiences, thoughts, and ideas formed because of a former lifestyle that's disappeared. Global culture, domestic lifestyle. Consolidated into an outlet that may or may not be interesting to anyone else. Also a kind of travel blog because sometimes I go places. All photography is mine unless credited otherwise.

dimecres, 30 de març del 2011

Lost in BCN

Okay, the title isn't metaphorical this time.  And the "BCN" part is real too, even though perhaps a tad overdone in my case because I feel like I talk about Barcelona a lot.  Oh well.  Deal with it.

Here's my story about the time I got legitimately lost in Barcelona.  On my 5th day in the city I had it planned that I was going to spend the entire day out and about, on my feet, just exploring the city.  I'd already been to the tourist traps: Parc Güell, the Sagrada Família, the Passeig de Gràcia and the Rambles, as well as Camp Nou, and just wanted to do some wandering.  The day earlier, after meeting up with some lovely people I'd met on social networks like LiveJournal and Twitter, I bought myself a new pair of flats, and (biggest mistake of my life), I decided to wear them on my "day on the town".  Yeah, probably shouldn't have done that.  My feet were throbbing by three pm.  I wandered into the Barceloneta for lunch, and ended up eating at a make-your-own Chinese/Asian place on the beach when I checked my phone for Facebook messages, and saw that a family friend who lived in Barcelona had invited me to the church service at their house in the evening.  The Barceloneta is not at all accessible via subway, so I ended up walking down the Passeig de l'Arenal till I got to the Vila Olímpica, where there's a tram line that goes into the area of the Eixample where they live, just out of Poblenou (if you're not familiar with Barcelona geography this is really not that important).



I got on the tram, swiped my pass (thank the TMB for 6-Day passes!), and waited for it to leave. see what I was riding through this time around.  Even though the Poblenou and Fòrum areas aren't intrinsically beautiful, they're part of Barcelona, and they should be able to be seen.
 Here's a map of the tram lines in eastern Barcelona for reference.  I knew what I needed to do: get off at Glòries and wait for the T5 tram, but I got distracted by the sights.  The tram in Barcelona only runs in the eastern and western ends of the city, as they're not allowed in the developed areas of the city since in the 1920s a guy named Antoni Gaudí was crossing the street on the way to work and was hit by a tram, and died in the hospital.  So only subways and buses downtown.  It was really nice to be able to actually

In my distraction, I forgot to get off at the Glòries stop, and it wasn't until I got to the Pere IV or Fluvià stations and saw the map that I freaked out.  Over the course of the route I was able to work out an alternative route, but I had to basically get to the end of the line to do it.  So I ended up in Sant Adrià de Besòs.  On the other side of the river.  Hooray!  While I sat at the station and waited for the T5 train to arrive, there was a kids' football (soccer) match going on right across the tracks, and the song "Hot" by Inna blared from the speakers, and to this day, even though it hasn't even been a year, I associate that song with sitting in the Sant Adrià de Besòs tram station.

I did eventually make it to the Can Jaumandreu station without a problem, but then I took the wrong turn into Poblenou instead of the Eixample, so I was way late and ended up not going.  But at least I got to see a little bit of Poblenou and the Clot neighborhood in the Eixample, because I figured I should at least find out where I was supposed to be going even though it was far too late for me to be there.

And that's how I ended up spending 20 minutes in Sant Adrià de Besòs and an extra hour on the Barcelona tram than I should have.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada