About

enyorança (p: [ə ɲu 'ran sə]) - catalan: n. a state of longing

Chronicling the ex-expat life and the desire for something greater. Experiences, thoughts, and ideas formed because of a former lifestyle that's disappeared. Global culture, domestic lifestyle. Consolidated into an outlet that may or may not be interesting to anyone else. Also a kind of travel blog because sometimes I go places. All photography is mine unless credited otherwise.

diumenge, 2 d’octubre del 2011

This Moment


All that I need is this moment
To send me away with a smile on my face
I tried to leave but I turn back
On my heart remains a trace

I don't usually like to talk about my favorite music.  Not because I don't listen to music --on the contrary, I'm always listening to music--, but because I just don't care if other people know what kind of music I listen to.  I refuse to judge people based on the music they listen to, so I usually try not to make a big deal out of what I like to put into my headphones.  Anytime I share music I enjoy on Tumblr I'm lucky to get two notes, but since I only have just under 140 followers it's not that big of a deal.  Besides, Flash takes up a lot of memory to run.  It's cool.

But I kind of want to talk about some music I like right now.  One of the genres that I've really grown to love in the last couple of years is trance.  Mostly trance prog, or progressive trance, because it's more mellow and low-key and much more melodic than what most people expect when they think of "trance" music.  I actually enjoy all kinds of trance, from relaxed progressive to frenetic, gritty industrial, but prog is definitely my favorite.  And this track, the one I posted above, is one of my all-time favorites.

One of the things I really love about trance music is that when lyrics are involved, they tend to be incredibly powerful.  Trance artists don't just throw lyrics at a song just to try to make it more interesting, there is almost always a lot of thought involved in the songwriting.  So many of my favorite trance songs are favorites of mine because of the lyrics almost as much as because of the music itself.  And what's beautiful about trance is that since most people just shrug is off as being "talentless" because it's electronically generated, it's still in a sense "under the radar".  And honestly, the biggest trance artists like Above & Beyond and Gareth Emery have an extensive background in music-making.  I heard an Above & Beyond acoustic session once and was blown away.  Two of the DJs were on the acoustic guitar, another on the keyboard, and then there was a vocalist, and the result sounded like jazz night at your local bar.  And Gareth Emery...he plays keyboard on his track "Too Dark Tonight", and when he performs it live, it's an acoustic performance, at least when his sister Roxanne, who does the vocals for the track, is onstage.  I sincerely believe that it is completely unfair to consider electronic music, at least as far as trance is concerned (but even electronic music as an entire genre), "talentless", because I have seen nothing but talent from many of these artists.

Anyway, trance music isn't the only music I listen to, and some other time I'll talk about some of my other favorite songs.  But right now I wanted to post this one, because it's been a favorite for a while now and I felt I should share.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada